Pages

Thursday, April 15, 2010

Ten on Thursday

1. Mixing it up a little bit, trying to keep you all on your toes. Betcha didn't expect a "Ten on Thursday" post did you? (Or one at all, the way I've been blogging?!?)

2. The medium sized kid had his first belt competition this past weekend. I was very nervous for him-even more so when I saw the hundreds of white outfitted Tae Kwon Do-ers ready to compete.

But he did great-he even broke the board with his fighting stance kick. So proud of the medium sized guy!

3. I am at war with my sewing machine. I know many of you are saying to yourselves, "What sewing machine? Christina has a sewing machine??? Whaaaaat?!?" A few years ago, I decided I wanted to learn how to sew, so Chuck very thoughtfully got me a sewing machine.
And it sat on a sewing table for a couple of years, then my Mom borrowed it and it was actually put to use. And then recently, it's sat in my basement waiting for me to get the urge to try it out. Fast forward to this weekend, when after a series of very unfortunate events, I was forced to sew a costume for Bryce's upcoming play. Ha. How hard could it be, I thought. I went Joann's bought an easy peasy "under two hours" pattern and started cutting material and pinning it according to the instructions. By this point, I was feeling VERY confident-so confident that I thought, two hours-I'll do this in an hour, easy. And then I pulled out the sewing machine. Did you know you have to thread that thing? And that there's something called a bobbin and that is very very important to the process? Yeah, I didn't either. I had to download the manual for the sewing machine from the internet (EIGHTY PAGES, people! I was freaking out), and then I attempted to thread the thing. 45 minutes later I finally made my first attempt at sewing a seam. Oh boy. Let's just say it's a good thing it's an animal print costume and that he'll be on stage-because those seams aren't pretty.  After at least 4 different rethreadings, 2 untangles of the bobbin thingy, 1 needle that just randomly fell out, and at least 2 1/2 hours of frustration, the costume was finally done. Well, it would work for dress rehearsal, and my mom can fix all of my mistakes.
But now? It is on. I will conquer that sewing machine, I will learn to sew. You wait and see.
Yup, I made him model it so I could take a picture, he was super happy.

4. This is my nephew Keaton-I have 3 words for you-Nick. Nolte. Mugshot. Go on, google it. I'll wait.


5. My brother has a blog- Stuff My Sons Say- and he is way funnier than me (although his humor is a bit more raw than mine). I'm trying not to be jealous but I kind of am. Of course, I am way more awesome than he is at about a million other things, so it all averages out. :)

6. Have you ever tried to take a picture of four boys in Easter outfits ranging in age from 18 months to 8 years and they wanted no part of it? This is what it looks like....
(The Moose was really very unhappy about the whole thing-I have no pictures of him in his Easter outfit-awesome.)

7. However, Moosey is very happy when chocolate chip cookies appear. Very, very happy.

8. Jarron is fully recovered from his various accidents and injuries and is ready for summer and all the adventures that come with it. I am not ready-I am still recovering from all of his various injuries and accidents. I would like for him to become a couch potato but clearly, that is not going to happen.

9. Bryce is making his theatrical debut in the Fairfield East Elementary School's production of Lion King nest Friday night at 6:30. He will be portraying, Banzai, the lead hyena. If you can, please come out and support him-admission is FREE! :)

10. Check back tomorrow-the twins turn NINE years old!! I'll be posting a little birthday tribute. :)

1 comment:

Stacey said...

Yay! A new blog post, finally! I can't believe with your mom being a professional seamstress that you would know a little bit about a sewing machine. I know what it has (needle, bobbin, etc.) but I didn't know how to get it all ready. I still have to get the manual out to use it since I'm a novice. Clay didn't have an Easter outfit this year because his sorry mom didn't make sure he had one that fit!